Rx for Reading – Fundamentals | ONLINE
September 10 @ 8:30 am - 5:30 pm EDT
This lecture and laboratory workshop provides JK to Gr. 3 educators with foundational understandings from brain research on how reading develops from a biological and cognitive developmental perspective and the instructional implications. The training focuses on broadening educators’ conceptions of structured literacy instructional practices that support reading success for all learners.
Educators will explore how reading impacts thinking and learning and examine the link between reading, spelling, and writing. Successful completion of this workshop will enable educators to use evidence-informed strategies to teach students basic reading skills.
This workshop will include:
- the neurological basis of reading development how reading is related to spelling, written composition, and thinking
- the Reading Rope and Simple View of Reading and how they provide a framework for the elements of a structured literacy approach to teaching reading
- a multi-model, structured literacy approach to design and implement reading lesson plans
- mediated learning as the instructional methodology in handwriting and written expression instruction
- informal assessments of students’ literacy skills
This workshop has two parts:
Asychronous Learning Activities (approx. 8 hours pre-workshop): includes watching three PPT lectures, completing a knowledge assessment, reading six research/journal articles and reviewing online resources.
Synchronous Virtual Classroom Instruction (8 hours Zoom online): includes lectures and demonstrations with other participants.
Dates & Times
September 10, 2022
8:30 AM – 5:30 PM EST
This course will be offered entirely online, through a platform called Zoom. You will need a laptop or desktop computer (PC or MAC) with camera, audio and microphone capability as well as a reliable internet connection.
Regular Rate: $675.00 (Save $75, register by August 20, 2022! Use code “earlybird” at checkout!)
NILD Registered Therapist Rate: $625.00 (Save $75, register by August 20, 2022! Use code “earlybird” at checkout!)
September 1, 2022